Good news! To provide faster support and grow the community, we'll be changing the forum to "Read Only" and turn to Discord instead for support.
Join here: https://discord.gg/zjNj5zZ

Tutorial videos 3

CodersExpo

Tutorial videos 3

Postby CodersExpo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:54 am

I was watching Unity - Inventory Pro - Video tutorial 3 - Character & Item equipment on YouTube at

I got half way through watching and documenting every detail. I followed you up til 12:57 and I can't tell if I'm doing this right or not since things have changed. I'm not able to pick items up even though I was able to in the last video. The objects I created do have the Object Trigger Item scripts. Still I get errors when I run....

NullReferenceException: (null)
UnityEditor.SerializedObject..ctor (UnityEngine.Object[] objs) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/SerializedPropertyBindings.gen.cs:74)
UnityEditor.Editor.GetSerializedObjectInternal () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorBindings.gen.cs:154)
UnityEditor.Editor.get_serializedObject () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorBindings.gen.cs:147)
Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.InventoryEditorBase.OnEnable () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Other/Editor/InventoryEditorBase.cs:18)
Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.InventoryItemBaseEditor.OnEnable () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Items/Editor/InventoryItemBaseEditor.cs:47)
Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.EquippableInventoryItemEditor.OnEnable () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Items/Editor/EquippableInventoryItemEditor.cs:25)

Removed second error since I resolved this. Just have issues with the first one above although it doesn't seem to prevent me from doing everything in the video series. Just logs 14 errors on start of the scene.
Last edited by CodersExpo on Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjahuijbregts
Site Admin

Re: Tutorial videos 3

Postby jjahuijbregts » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:57 am

CodersExpo wrote:I was watching Unity - Inventory Pro - Video tutorial 3 - Character & Item equipment on YouTube at

I got half way through watching and documenting every detail. I followed you up til 12:57 and I can't tell if I'm doing this right or not since things have changed. I'm not able to pick items up even though I was able to in the last video. The objects I created do have the Object Trigger Item scripts. Still I get errors when I run....

UnityEditor.SerializedObject..ctor (UnityEngine.Object[] objs) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/SerializedPropertyBindings.gen.cs:74)
UnityEditor.Editor.GetSerializedObjectInternal () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorBindings.gen.cs:154)
UnityEditor.Editor.get_serializedObject () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorBindings.gen.cs:147)
Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.InventoryEditorBase.OnEnable () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Other/Editor/InventoryEditorBase.cs:18)
Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.InventoryItemBaseEditor.OnEnable () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Items/Editor/InventoryItemBaseEditor.cs:47)
Devdog.InventorySystem.Editors.EquippableInventoryItemEditor.OnEnable () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Items/Editor/EquippableInventoryItemEditor.cs:25)

I'll clear these errors and try clicking on the item to add and get...

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryManager.AddItem (Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryItemBase item, ICollection`1 storedItems, Boolean repaint) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Managers/InventoryManager.cs:301)
Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryItemBase.PickupItem () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Items/InventoryItemBase.cs:590)
Devdog.InventorySystem.ObjectTriggererItem.PickupItem (Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryPlayer player, Boolean fireEvents) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Modules/Triggerers/ObjectTriggererItem.cs:160)
Devdog.InventorySystem.ObjectTriggererItem.Use (Devdog.InventorySystem.InventoryPlayer player, System.Boolean& removeSource, Boolean fireEvents) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Modules/Triggerers/ObjectTriggererItem.cs:112)
Devdog.InventorySystem.ObjectTriggererItem.Use (System.Boolean& removeSource, Boolean fireEvents) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Modules/Triggerers/ObjectTriggererItem.cs:98)
Devdog.InventorySystem.ObjectTriggererBase.Use (Boolean fireEvents) (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Modules/Triggerers/ObjectTriggererBase.cs:96)
Devdog.InventorySystem.ObjectTriggererItem.OnMouseDown () (at Assets/InventorySystem/Scripts/Modules/Triggerers/ObjectTriggererItem.cs:70)
UnityEngine.SendMouseEvents:DoSendMouseEvents(Int32)

Please help as this is becoming very frustrating having to spend so much time troubleshooting these issue just to get started...

If you're using IPro v2.3.2 it looks like your language datatabase is not set. Are there any warnings or errors in the setup wizard?

CodersExpo

Re: Tutorial videos 3

Postby CodersExpo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:02 pm

Thank you for the quick response. I've successfully made it through the first two videos with this version. In the Main Manager Editor, at the bottom in red, it has always said there are 2 errors.
1. Use show confirmation dialog is enabled but one is not assigned.
2. Same for the Unstack dialog

Since this has not yet been addressed in the videos, I selected Settings Editor >> Dialogs and unchecked these two. That made those errors go away.

The only error left is actually a warning about the Character Collection container has no dynamic layout group attached but collection is using them. So with that I selected the Character Window >> Character UI (script) and checked "Ignore Item Layout Sizes". The error/warning is now gone.

*************UPDATE*************
I checked the _InventoryManager >> Inventory Manager (Script) I missed assigning the CharacterWindow Panel to the Charcter slot :-( This removed the error 2nd error I was getting with InventoryManager returning null.

I also discovered if I assign a category "Equipable" to my dagger, I had to go into the InventoryWindow >> Inventory UI (Script) Restrictions and add a filter for Category Equal Equipable and Match Any so that bool equality = VerifyFilterEqualNotEqual(a, b, filterType) would return true.

This allows me to pick the equippable item up and add to the inventory now. However, clicking the item in the Inventory still is not adding it to my Character Inventory.

I get a new error..."CharacterUI's player reference not set! Forgot to assign to player?" So, I selected my Character >> InventoryPlayer(Script) and added another collection. I dragged the CharcterWindow Panel component into Element 1 slot. I get same error...oops. delete Inventory Collection element 1 and drag the component to the collection "Character Collection". Bingo!!

NOTE: the first error is still an issue (14) errors with...

UnityEditor.SerializedObject..ctor (UnityEngine.Object[] objs) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/SerializedPropertyBindings.gen.

..full stack trace in my original post.

******Update******

I unassigned my database and then reassigned it and the above error just stopped. LOL ok problem solved. It wasn't really causing any issues for me anyway. ;-)

Return to “Updates & Downloads”